Walkabout tours Port Douglas begins with a Kuku Yalanji Traditional Custodian who will welcome you and introduce you to their homeland of stunning Cooya Beach.
This Indigenous Cultural Beach Walk and Talk Experience is in stunning Tropical North Queensland. Here they continue to maintain their heritage and practise their cultural activities of hunting and gathering daily.
After explaining the cultural importance of this country, your guide will introduce you to spear throwing and handling for fishing as it is still practised here today.
Hunt & Gather
You will then follow your indigenous guide with a spear each along Cooya Beach observing cultural medicine and food plants. Your guide will take you along with them into the mangroves and onto the mudflats as they continue their daily spear fishing and food gathering for their families.
After approximately 2 hours of cultural activities on the beach, mudflats and coastal walking you will return with your guide to see Kuku Yalanji artefacts and hear rare stories from their traditional land and heritage while they prepare their daily food for you and their families.
Habitat Walk along Cooya Beach and through the mudflats.
11.30 am Hear stories and see indigenous artefacts while tasting your catch.
12.00 pm Approximately tour will finish.
Hat, Sunscreen and Sunglasses
Comfortable walking shoes
Sense of adventure
Head north past Port Douglas. Next, turn right onto Boonie Doon Road, about 8.3kms past Port Douglas Road turn off. Then turn right onto Melaleuca Drive and follow around to Bougainvillea Street to Palm Street.
Your tour meeting point is 1 Palm Street, Cooya Beach.
A medium to a high level of fitness is required for this experience.
There are no refunds on this tour.
Private tours are available.
Easter Monday, Queens Birthday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year’s day incur the Private Tour rate.
We accept Visa Card or Mastercard, E-Way and PayPal.
For All bookings during COVID-19.
If your booking is affected for any reasons during COVID, we will allow you to change your travel date.
If you are unsure when you will travel, your booking will be open dated with NO expiration date.
Cancellation fees are as follows
20% cancellation fee 30 days or more before departure
50% cancellation fee if within 30 days before departure
100% cancellation fee within 14 days before departures
Schedules subject to change without notice
Scuba Diving Insurance
All passengers are strongly advised to purchase a comprehensive Travel Insurance policy that includes trip cancellation insurance and Evacuation & Medical cover for scuba diving.
Please be aware that not all Travel Insurance companies cover scuba diving and in-water activities. Please read the wording of your policy carefully.
Any evacuation, vessel relocation, or medical expenses are the diver's financial responsibility in a Medical Emergency. We strongly recommend the purchase of dive insurance.
Cancellation / Rescheduling Policy
We reserve the right to change vessel, dive locations, and prices without notice.
Please note we must receive at least 48 hours' notice from you when choosing to cancel or reschedule a reservation. Cancellation refunds are not given within 48 hours' notice. This includes factors beyond your control, including medical problems, airline delays, bad weather, etc.
Please refer to the Trade Practices Act 1974. Travel Insurance is highly recommended.
Please contact our office if you require any further information.
Terms And Conditions
This website acts as a booking agent only for the tours advertised herein. Although we endeavour to provide accurate information we are not liable for inaccurate information concerning services.
• No alcohol may be consumed prior to in water activities
• Children’s prices are from 4 – 11 years of age
• Please remember you need to allow 24 hours from your last dive before flying.
• Passengers intending to dive but restricted due to the aforementioned will not be offered a refund.
• Please call to confirm your trip 48 hours in advance on +61 7 4037 2700
• We are not liable for changes to tours, pricing or itineraries; all of which are subject to change without notice.
• Neither this site, nor any associated company or agent advertised through this site is responsible for your costs or losses resulting from alterations, cancellations, loss of personal belongings, property damage, delay or personal injury.
• All passengers are strongly advised to purchase comprehensive travel insurance that includes trip cancellation insurance, evacuation and medical cover. Please read the wording of your insurance policy carefully and ensure it covers you for all potential activities. In a medical emergency, any evacuation, vessel relocation, medical or other expenses are the financial responsibility of that passenger. Please be aware that scuba diving and other in-water activities are not covered by all travel insurance companies.
• Please inform us of any special requirements prior to your date of travel; such as dietary requirements, allergies, mobility and disability issues. This can be done in the 'Booking Message' section of your online reservation or by contacting our friendly reservations team